Thursday, June 10, 2010

evolved

The seasons change.
The days change.
The nights change.
People also change.

Normally I'm an advocate of change, for it signifies new beginnings and growth in one's life, but sometimes change is one's worst enemy. Today I had lunch with my two best friends: note the "best" part. It was like any other typical day, but as we all three sat around the table, struggling for conversation, we were each at a loss of words, at a loss of interest, seeming as though we had a loss of friendship. After being apart for a year, significant change had occurred in each of us, forcing the unthinkable question of whether or not change had made such an impact that we no longer were compatible. How could one year change us so much that we no longer could muster up interesting conversation over something as measly as a lunch time sandwich? For 4 years we have had numerous ones: conversations and lunches, but today we were strangers... just three, insignificant people eating together.

Maybe my mind overanalyzed what had happened, but my gut tells me I didn't. As I drove back to work, I couldn't help but allow tears to stain my cheeks. And what's more is that I didn't freely choose change, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment