Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Collection of Wonderful People (Short Version)

Having some freedom recently has allowed me to sit around and do what I love to do the most: THINK. As of lately, the one thing that has been on my mind the most is people. I've been thinking about the different people that have come in and out of my life, some that I've met only in passing, others that hold a special place in my heart, and even some that are no longer in it. Each, however, has given me something, whether it be memories of a shared adventure, a life lesson, a new perspective, a check off my bucket list, a few words of advice, or even the simplistic gift of a warm smile. No matter what it was, I've gained a lot more in these past twenty years than I have acknowledged.

Being a people person, I yearn for the chance to meet men and women of all walks of life, and I have definitely met quite a few who I catch myself thinking of many a days.

When I was around the age of ten, I met a lady on an airplane whose broken English was almost unbearable. She was from Africa, flying to Minnesota, bringing her grandson and toddler home to their mother. She was seated next to my mom, trying to grasp the concept of baggage claim. After several hours we landed and my mom and I helped her find it, yet to our dismay her luggage had been lost. Now, not only was she in a foreign country, but she was incapable of making decisions. My mom, always the helping hand, talked to the employees and managed to fill out paperwork for this woman, eventually setting the chaos to bay. Although her image is a little fuzzy to me now, I'll never forget the feeling of appreciation that she exalted. She asked for our address, and we left her to find her way. A couple weeks later, we received an envelope in the mail which contained not only a written letter, but a necklace bearing a cross. It was the simplest of gifts, yet also one of the most kind. A couple strangers brought together by being kind to one another. I'll never forget it.

-------

In seventh grade, I had the privilege of having a teacher that not only taught me middle school math, but taught me even more about life and myself. Her name is Tica Spake, and I can honestly say that she is one of the most kind, most caring, most selfless, and most passionate people I have ever met. The first day I met her, I said a quiet prayer to myself in hopes that she would be my teacher, but little did I know that she would not only become that, but also a role model and today, a friend.

Mrs. Spake always had a way of capturing you, from her gentle words to her infectious smile. I remember one time in particular when I was sick, she asked me to stay after class so that she could speak with me. I remember her telling me that everything was going to be alright, and I instead broke down and cried. She soothed my sobbing and held my hand. I told her that I always have cold hands and her response was simply, "Cold hands, but a warm heart." I'll never forget that. To this day, I still hear her saying that, and I still play that scene in my mind.

Today, I consider her a friend, a mentor. Almost seven years later, she's still in my life, even if it's only for a few minutes every now and then. Through her example, she taught me always to be kind and compassionate for others, to keep God close to my heart, and always strive to do my very best. What started as a typical school year turned into a life long friendship, and I'm incredibly blessed and lucky. I love you, Mrs. Spake.

-------

Gerald Jones, an angel.
Back in high school when we were all young and catty, there was one person who was not, there was one person who could bring a smile to anyone's face, and that person was Gerald. He had such a heart of gold and was willing to be a friend to any and all. I remember admiring his affection that he gave so selflessly many times during those years. He didn't care where you came from, where you were going, if you had money or not...he cared about you as a person. That's something rare these days, and I'll never forget that. I'll never forget his kindness towards me.

Gerald passed away earlier this month, and although I didn't keep in contact with him after graduating, I would randomly catch myself thinking of him. I regret not going to his funeral, and I regret not letting him know how wonderful he really was and how privileged I was to have even known him. I know that I will always remember his compassion for all people and it's something that will inspire for me for the rest of my life.

They say that only the good die young, and I would have to agree. I don't know why it was his time to go, but I do know Gerald is up in heaven watching down on all his family and friends, still flashing that big 'ole smile. The world lost a great man, but gained an angel in return.

May you rest in peace, sweet Gerald.

-------

No comments:

Post a Comment