Monday, May 30, 2011

She's Getting Married, You're Having A Baby, and I'm Just Trying to Graduate College.

Maybe there's something in the air? In the water? Whatever it is, it's started an epidemic. Wedding season, take a seat...BABY SEASON has arrived, in all sorts of dysfunctional stupidity. Maybe it's because I'm from a "small town," but I have come across more and more people that I went to high school with, married and pregnant, most commonly just the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the want to have all of these things, but what I don't understand is the need to A) do all of this before you're even twenty-one years old and B) do these in the opposite order (traditionally speaking). This confusion is probably derived from my somewhat conservative mindset, but nonetheless, even if I was more liberal with my thoughts, I'd still think it was stupid and irrational. Not to toot my own horn, but I've always thought of myself as mature for my age, both in the understanding of life and my actions; therefore, sitting here picturing myself pregnant is almost like looking at one of those Disney World caricatures because of the obscenity. I change my mind about my future monthly, I still ask my parents for help, and no matter what job I attain, it wouldn't be sufficient enough to support a child in the way that one should be taken care of. Having a kid isn't like having a dog: you have to do more than just feed them and take them to pee.

However, I bet it's safe to guess that most of these women received their new mommy titles by pure luck, or should I dare say misfortune? I know this entry is coming off pretty harsh, but the whole idea is a bit much for me to wrap my head around (insert sarcastic voice now) and hey, maybe that's why I wasn't lucky enough to be pregnant at 19. They're raising children all before they can: legally consume alcohol, rent a hotel room, and rent a car- I hope you girls don't plan on vacationing anytime soon because you'll have no place to stay, nor way to get there. Then again, you could just sleep in your own car- nice and cozy is always a plus especially with a crying infant! I'm probably a horrible person for writing that.

Ok, disregarding my attempt at being funny in the previous paragraph, I do realize things happen not according to plan, but I also realize there's ways of preventing that. I know I probably shouldn't completely dog these young mothers, and I apologize for coming off "holier than thou." My belief is just simply that you should get an education first, be confident and secure with yourself and your finances, then make the decision to get married and have children. When you're young, you are so prone to making irrational decisions and you're still learning who you are as a person and who you will become. You have your whole life ahead of you to be a good parent- being young is your time to be free and curious, to experience the good and the bad of the world, to lay around and waste away days just because you can. I guess that's my point- people are fast forwarding too soon while they're still young, thus missing their chance to truly understand what it means to LIVE.

1 comment: